This ring features the Helm of Awe symbol prominently at the front and reproductions of the Mammen Axe design on each side.
The Helm of Awe is a powerful protective symbol used by the Vikings for the purpose of protection from illness, and disease. In Norse mythology it is said that it is a symbol that was worn between the eyes that induces fear in your enemies, and to protect against the abuse of power.
The Mammen Axe, one of the best-known and best-decorated examples of the small Viking throwing axe, is a perfect example of the Viking's blend of art and war. Excavated from a famous 10th century barrow near Mammen Denmark, the original is decorated with silver inlaid engraving in a typical Celtic manner.
This ring features the design on one one part of the Mammen axe showing an animal figure – perhaps the rooster Gullinkambi (Old Norse “golden comb”) or the Phoenix. According to Norse mythology Gullinkambi sits on top of the tree Yggdrasil. Here it wakes the Viking warriors every morning and it will crow at the beginning of Ragnarok (the end of the world). The Phoenix is a Christian mythological animal and a symbol of re-birth.
This ring is hand cast in 925 Sterling Silver made especially for you, to fit your size. Custom size as 1/4 ,1/2, 3/4 can also be made. Please contact us after purchase of leave a message in the Special Instructions Section before checkout. Ring size over US 15 can be made, however it has a surcharge of £40
Takes 4 to 7 weeks to be made and dispatched. Please see size guide in image gallery
To determine your ring size, do the following:
- Use a piece of string or dental floss and wrap it around the base of your finger.
- Use a pen to mark the point on the string where the end meets.
- Use a millimeter ruler to measure the string.
- Choose the closest measurement to the chart above to find your ring size.
Tips for best results:
- Allow enough room to accommodate your knuckle.
- Bear in mind, different fingers on the same and the opposite hand may have different sizes. Therefore, measure the specific finger on which you are planning to wear the ring.
- Measure your finger at the end of the day when your finger is likely to be largest.
Custom size orders are not eligible for returns or exchanges if you make a mistake so be sure to measure your finger carefully or have it sized at a jeweller before placing an order so you can order the correct size.